Jumbled Sentence questions require students to complete a sentence by selecting words or phrases from a drop-down list. The same drop-down list appears for all blanks and can include both correct answers and distractors. Up to 100 different words or phrases can appear on the list.
Jumbled Sentence questions are graded automatically.
Type the question text as students see it, but replace the missing information with variables in square brackets. For example, “Single water molecules are held together by [a] bonds and multiple water molecules are held together by [b] bonds. The kind of bond where atoms are sharing electrons, but are not sharing them equally is [c].” Variables can consist of letters, digits (0-9), periods ( . ), underscores ( _ ) and hyphens ( - ). Variable names must be unique, and you cannot reuse them.
- Access a test, survey, or pool. To learn more, see Tests, Surveys, and Pools.
- On the action bar, point to Create Question and click Jumbled Sentence.
- On the Create/Edit Jumbled Sentence Question page, type the question, adding the variables in square brackets.
- Select Allow Partial Credit if you want to allot each correct answer a fraction of the total point value.
- Select the Number of Answers from the drop-down list. Click Remove to delete extra answers.
- Type answers in the Answer boxes. The list can include only correct answers or both correct answers and distracters. On the next page, you select the correct answer for each variable.
- Click Next.
- On the next Create/Edit page, use the drop-down list to select the correct answer for each variable.
- Optionally, type feedback for correct and incorrect answers, and question metadata. To learn more, see Question Metadata.
- Click Submit and Create Another -OR- Submit to add the question to the test.
You can specify partial credit for Jumbled Sentence questions. Partial credit gives a percentage of the question’s possible points for a partially correct answer. To learn more, see How to Assign Partial Credit.
You must enable the options to specify partial credit on the Question Settings page to use them for individual questions.
Related Tutorials Creating a Jumbled Question (Flash video | 3m 52s)