You can reuse questions from all existing tests, surveys, and pools in your course.
You can use the Find Questions page to filter and select questions when adding individual questions or a random block to a test. To learn more, see Random Blocks.
The Find Questions page consists of the active filter area that displays all the questions that meet your search criteria. This is a dynamic list that changes automatically as you select or clear criteria. The Selected Questions area displays the questions you have already selected, eliminating the need to scroll up and down long lists of questions.
When reusing a question, questions in tests that are already linked somewhere else will not appear in searches and will not be selectable.
Finding questions can be made easier by using metadata when creating questions. To learn more, see Question Metadata.
On the Find Questions page, you can choose to Copy a Question from an existing test to a new test -OR-& Link to the original question in the new test. The difference between linking and copying is that changes to a linked question show in any test that contains that question. When you copy a question, your changes appear only in the new copy.
Copy a Question
|When you copy a question, you can modify the new copy without concern about impacting other tests.||Changes made to one instance of the question are not reflected in the other instances. |
If you want changes to show in all instances of that question, you must locate and modify each copied instance of the question individually.
|Link to Original Question||Linking maintains uniformity. Changes to a linked question in any test are reflected in all tests where the question is linked. |
In a test, linked questions are indicated by an icon. When you edit a linked test question, the status message lists other tests that contain the linked question.
When you edit linked questions that appear in tests with completed or in-progress attempts, you are warned that your change will affect those attempts before you proceed.
|Changes to a linked question appear in all tests where that question occurs. You cannot select which tests are changed. |
The option to link or copy is only available on the Find Questions page. To remove the link from question, you need to delete the linked question from the test and add it again as a copy. You can add new questions only to tests that are not deployed.
- Access a test, survey, or pool canvas and point to Reuse Question and click Find Questions.
- In the Find Question pop-up window, choose to Copy selected questions or to Link to original questions.
- In the Browse Criteria section, expand the criteria sections and select specific criteria. You can search within pools, tests, question types, categories, topics, levels of difficulty, and keywords. All questions meeting those criteria are displayed. You can also use the Search current results box to type a phrase, word, or part of a word to find matching questions.
- Select the check boxes for the questions you want to add to the assessment. They are added to the Selected Questions area at the bottom of the screen. You can expand the area to view your list of questions. You can remove questions by clicking the red X next to the question. This action only removes it from this collection; it does not delete the question.
- Click Submit. The questions are added to your test, survey, or pool.
About the Browse Criteria Section
As you select criteria from the Browse Criteria section, the relevant questions appear in the active filter list. The selected criteria appear above the active filter list as a reference. The active filter list will be empty if there are no matching questions. The criteria categories for searching for questions include:
- Pools: These are instructor-created collections of questions, usually related to each other, which you can include as an entire group in a test, survey, or another larger pool.
- Tests: This includes both tests (which are graded) and surveys (which are not).
- Question types: This allows you to select one or more of the question types, including:
- Categories: Selects among the assigned categories of questions.
- Topics: Selects among the assigned topics of questions.
- Levels of Difficulty: Selects among the levels of difficulty assigned to questions.
- Keywords: Selects by assigned question keywords.
The questions you select through this process appear in the Selected Questions area at the bottom of the page.
The questions you can find may be limited according to your specific access permissions.
Related Tutorials Question Finder (Flash video | 4m 36s)
Tagging Questions (Flash video | 3m 8s)