Your instructor and institution control which tools are available.
The discussion board is a tool for sharing thoughts and ideas about class materials. Course members can replicate the robust discussions that take place in the traditional classroom. An advantage of using the discussion board is its asynchronous nature. Participants do not need to be in the same location or time zone, and can take time to consider their responses carefully.
You can use the discussion board for the following tasks:
- Meet with your peers for collaboration and social interaction.
- Pose questions about homework assignments, readings, and course content.
- Demonstrate your understanding or application of course material.
Watch a Tutorial
Double-click the video to enlarge the viewing area.
How to Access the Discussion Board
- On the course menu, click Discussions.
On the course menu, click Tools and click Discussion Board.
- The main Discussion Board page appears with a list of available discussion forums. A forum is an area where users discuss a topic or a group of related topics.
The Main Discussion Board Page
- Click a forum title to view the messages. Forum titles in bold contain unread posts.
- View data on the number of posts and participants.
- Click the number in the Unread Posts column for one-click access to a forum’s unread messages.
Course groups can have their own discussion boards. Group discussion boards are available only to users who are members of the group. If a group discussion board is available, access it from the groups link on the course menu or in the My Groups area.