This article is archived and is no longer updated. Go to the latest information on forums.
Within each forum, users can create multiple threads. A thread includes the initial post and any replies to it. When creating a forum, your instructor has the option of allowing or not allowing you to start threads.
The Forum Page
- When possible, use the orientation bar to navigate to a previous page. Do not use the browser navigation controls because page load errors may occur.
- Use the action bar functions to perform various actions, such as creating threads, accessing grading information, collecting threads, and searching content.
- Select multiple threads' check boxes or select the check box in the header row to select all threads for an action, such as marking as read.
- Click a thread title to read the posts. Titles in bold type contain unread posts.
- Determine your view. View a forum with threads appearing in a list -OR- in a tree view with all posts listed below each thread title.
If allowed by your instructor, you can be alerted by email when new posts are made. Your instructor chooses whether the alerts are for posts made at the forum or thread level.
When the forum email subscription feature is enabled, click Subscribe on the action bar. You will receive emails when new posts are made to the forum.
When the thread email subscription feature is enabled, select one or more thread check boxes and click Subscribe in the Thread Actions drop-down list. You will receive emails when new posts are made to the selected threads.
List View and Tree View
After you click a forum title, a page loads displaying all forum threads. You can view the page in either List View or Tree View. This choice remains in effect until you change it, and you may change it at any time. On the forum page, in the upper-right corner, change the view.
Click List View to present the threads in a table format. Thread titles in bold type contain unread posts.
- From the action bar, you can create threads, collect, or search posts. If your instructor has allowed you to receive email alerts to new posts in the forum, you will also see Subscribe.
- To sort a column, click the column heading.
- Select the check box next to a thread and make a selection from the Thread Actions drop-down list. You can select multiple threads or select the check box in the header to select all threads. You can perform the following actions:
- Marking threads read or unread.
- Setting or clearing flags. Flags mark threads for later attention.
- Subscribing or unsubscribing for email alerts to new posts made to threads, if enabled.
Click Tree View to show the thread starter messages and their replies. From the action bar, you can create threads or collect posts.
You can expand and collapse threads by using the plus and minus icons next to the titles. If a thread starter message contains unread posts, the thread starter title appears in bold type. On the action bar, use the Collapse All and Expand All options to hide or view all posts included in all threads.
Select a thread and make a selection from the Message Actions drop-down list on the action bar. You can select multiple threads or select the check box in the header to select all threads. Actions include marking threads read or unread and setting or clearing flags. Flags mark threads for later attention.