This article is archived and is no longer updated. Go to the latest information on moderating forums.
In a discussion forum, your instructor can assign a user the role of moderator. A moderator reviews posts before they are added to a thread and appear in the discussion board.
Occasionally, participants may post material that is inappropriate for the class discussion. Depending on the maturity and the sensitivity of the participants in your course, it may be necessary to review participant posts for inappropriate content before sharing posts with the rest of the class.
In a moderated forum, all posts to the forum are added to a moderation queue. A moderator reviews each post and performs one of the following actions:
- Publishes the post
- Returns the post to the sender without a message
- Returns the post to the sender with a message
A moderator can delete, edit, and lock posts in a forum, even if the forum does not use the moderation queue.
How to Moderate a Forum
- After posts are submitted, access the forum. In the moderator view, no posts appear because the messages are waiting approval. On the action bar, click Moderate Forum.
The Moderate Forum function appears only to those users who have a forum role of manager or moderator. In the student view, the author can see the post in Tree View with a reminder it is in the moderation queue.
- On the Moderation Queue page, the posts appear in alphabetical order by title. Click the column title to sort by post title, author, or date. To review a post, click Moderate.
- On the Moderate Post page, read the post and select the Publish or Return option. Published messages are immediately posted to the thread.
- Optionally, type feedback in the text box. Though feedback is optional, this is an opportunity to provide guidance, ask questions, redirect a student's focus, and explain why a post was returned.
- Click Submit.
Returned posts no longer appear in the moderation queue. In tree view, students see their returned posts in the forum. Expand the post using the plus sign. If feedback was included, students can see why their posts were returned. On the thread page, returned posts display Returned next to the post's title.
On the thread page, students can edit their posts while viewing the moderator's feedback and resubmit them. The posts are returned to the moderation queue. Moderation Queue appears next to the post's title.