The group homepage is the center for group activity and contains a description of the group, a list of members, and tools. If your instructor permits, you can customize this page by adding a banner, selecting a color scheme, and adding personal modules, such as Report Card. Personal modules are visible only to the member who added the modules. You can also access your group tools and assignments here.
Watch a Tutorial
Double-click the video to enlarge the viewing area.
When inside your group area, you can use the tools your instructor has made available. Be sure to ask about any tools you want to use but do not find on your groups page. Review any instructions provided by your instructor on how to use these tools to complete group work. Tools that are available to a group include:
- Collaboration: Users within the group can create and attend chat sessions and virtual classroom sessions.
- File Exchange: Group members and your instructor can share files in this area. All members, as well as your instructor, can add files. They can also delete files, regardless of who added them.
- Group Blog: In the group area, all members of a group can create entries for the same blog, building on each post. All course members can read and comment on a group blog, but they cannot make posts unless they are members of the group. Your instructor can choose to grade group blogs. All group members receive the same grade.
- Group Discussion Board: Users within the group can create and manage their own forums and discuss topics with just the group members. Your instructor can choose to grade a group discussion, but each member is graded individually.
- Group Journal: In the group area, all members of a group can view each other's entries. Only group members and your instructor can view a group journal. Your instructor can choose to grade group journals. All group members receive the same grade.
- Group Task: Users within a group can create tasks for distribution to all group members.
- Group Wiki: Users within a group can edit and view their group wiki. Your instructor can view and edit a group wiki, and choose to grade group wikis. All group members receive the same grade.
- Send Email: Users within a group can email individual members or the entire group.
How to Open a Group Page
- On the course menu, click the content area that holds the group.
- On the Groups page, click the name of the group.
-OR-On the My Groups panel below the course menu, click the name of a group.
Sign Up to Join a Course Group
Your instructor may allow you to self-enroll in a course group. Your instructor also has the option to display the names of other members of the group to help you choose which group to join.
Your instructor may display the sign-up sheet on the groups listing page and add the sign-up sheet as a link from other areas, such as a content area or folder.
On the Groups page, click Sign Up to access the sign-up sheet. On the Sign Up Sheet page, when you click Sign Up, you are automatically added to the group.
How to Create a Group
If allowed by your instructor, you can create course groups that other users in the course can sign up to join.
- On the Groups page, click Create Group.
- On the Create Self-Enrollment Group page, type the group name and description.
- Type a Name of Sign-up Sheet and Sign-up Sheet Instructions.
- Type the Maximum Number of Members.
- Click Submit.