Users collaborating in a group often require access to a shared set of documents. A group may be created informally as a collection of users who wish to collaborate, or may be created formally using the course or organization groups function in Blackboard Learn. The first step to sharing documents is to create a group folder that can be accessed by each member of the group. Creating a group folder is not required (group members can collaborate on a single file), but establishing a specific folder may be helpful for sharing a collection of files.
After the group folder is created, the user must provide the appropriate permission to other group members. If an instructor has created groups in the course, users can share the folder with all members of a group in a single step. If the instructor edits the group members in the future, the Content Collection will automatically share the folder with the edited group members.
How to Share a Folder with a Course Group
- Select Permissions next to the group folder. If Permissions is not visible, select Edit, then Permissions.
- From the drop-down list in the Action Bar, Select Group User List (or Organization Group User List if the group belongs to an organization). Select Go.
- The page displays all course groups in which the user is enrolled. Select the check box next the group name with which to share the folder. Multiple groups may be selected.
- Select the appropriate permission check boxes. To grant the group full permissions, select all of the check boxes.
How to Share a Folder with a User Group
If the user would like to share a folder with a group of users that exists outside of a course or organization group, the folder must be explicitly shared with each group member. Follow the steps below:
- Select Permissions next to the folder. If Permissions is not visible, select Edit, then Permissions.
- Select Add Users in the Action Bar.
- Enter the username of each group member, separated by commas, in the Choose Users field. Click Browse to locate unknown usernames.
- Select the appropriate permission check boxes for these users. To grant all members of the group full permissions, select all of the check boxes.
After a user creates the shared folder in the desired location, other group members need a simple way to locate and access the folder. The easiest way to achieve this is for all other group members to create bookmarks to the folder.
The creator of the group folder should inform each group member of the folder location.
How to Create a Bookmark
- From the Jump To Panel under Tools, click Bookmarks.
- Click Create Bookmark.
- Type a Bookmark Name.
- Click Browse to locate the item.
- Click Submit.
Once the bookmark is created, the user selects Bookmarks in the Content Collection Menu, and then clicks the bookmark name to access the shared group folder. The creator of the group folder may access the folder directly through his or her username folder. If all group members have been granted full permissions, they may add, edit, and delete any file or folder within the group folder.
Users may also locate the group folder by selecting Search in the Tools area.