In order for your account team to determine the right options for your institution and for the migration itself, it’s important to have some detailed and up to date information about your current Blackboard Learn usage. We provide the Blackboard Learn Migration Information Gathering Building Block to help you easily gather core system details. Use the building block with the Integrations Worksheet and questionnaire to collect additional important information about your plans.
You will need the following materials to gather information about your system.
- Blackboard Learn Migration Information Gathering Building Block (.war file)
- Blackboard Learn Migration Requirements Gathering (.docm file)
- Integrations Worksheet (.xlsx file)
Visit Behind the Blackboard to download all of the information gathering materials, including the building block to install on your production Blackboard Learn environment.
With the building block and additional materials, you can provide key information about your current Blackboard Learn environment. You can access the reports from the Administrator Panel after the building block is installed. Select Learn Migration Information Gathering in the Tools menu.
- Run the Main Report – Information Gathering and save the output as a PDF.
- Run Download CSV list of Building Blocks and add the contents of the resulting CSV file to the Integrations Worksheet to fill in additional details about your building blocks and customizations.
- Review the output and fill in the Blackboard Learn Migration Requirements Gathering questionnaire.
The resulting three files can be sent by email to your Blackboard account representative or other contact you are working with.
The Integrations Worksheet helps you decide which new and existing building blocks you plan to use in the migrated environment. Use data from the Information Gathering Building Block, along with institutional knowledge, to complete this worksheet. The Integrations Worksheet will likely evolve as you explore your options, solidify your plans, and transition to migration planning. This worksheet is important for any migration method you choose.
Prepare your building blocks and integrations for migration:
- Ensure you have acquired the installation .war file for all building blocks you plan to use, and that the files are ready to install when migration planning begins.
- Contact the building block vendor (for 3rd party building blocks) for information/assistance on migration options where applicable.
- Indicate in the Integrations Worksheet which building blocks you have decided not to install in the migrated environment.
The Blackboard Learn Migration Information Gathering Building Block provides five reports. The first two contain the core information needed for planning your migration as mentioned above, but there are additional reports you may find useful:
- Main Report - Information Gathering: This report provides key data about your current Blackboard Learn environment, metrics, and customizations.
- Download CSV list of Building Blocks: This CSV report provides a list of building blocks and whether the installation .war file is present on the file system.
- Unique Logins Report: This report may be requested for additional user data. Note that it is a longer running query and may take an hour or more on some systems.
- Building Block Usage Report: This report lists building blocks and includes a column to indicate usage (hits) if tracked in activity accumulator. This is useful to understand which building blocks are actively used.
This report is currently only available for systems running an Oracle database and can take more than an hour to run on some systems.
- Building Block Migration Exports: This report conveniently downloads data requested by building block vendors that may be needed for a course-based migration.