In every release, Blackboard devotes time and resources to make Blackboard Learn run on the latest operating systems, databases, and browsers available, with the goal of creating a system that is more manageable, more stable, and more user friendly.
This section highlights the major changes to the Supported Technologies and Browsers for this release. For the most up-to-date information, see Blackboard Learn Release 9.1 SP10 Supported Technologies and Browsers and Supported Technologies End User available on the Behind the Blackboard.
The following sections highlight the new Platform and Client configurations tested for this release using the following support terms:
- Certified: Fully supported technology with highest level of testing before release.
- Compatible: Fully supported technology with minimal level of testing before release.
- Unsupported: Unsupported technology because it is either impossible or not tested.
64-bit Server Configurations
|Application Server JDK7u7||SQL Server 2012||SQL Server 2008 R2||SQL Server 2008||Oracle 11gR2||Oracle 11gR1||Oracle 10gR2|
|Windows Server 2008|| |
|Windows Server 2008 R2||Certified||Certified||Certified||Certified||Unsupported||Unsupported||Unsupported|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 5||Certified||Unsupported||Unsupported||Unsupported||Certified||Compatible||Compatible|
|Red Hat Enterprise Linux Server 6||Certified||Unsupported||Unsupported||Unsupported||Certified||Compatible||Unsupported|
|Sun Solaris 10||Certified||Unsupported||Unsupported||Unsupported||Certified||Compatible||Compatible|
|Sun Solaris 11||Certified||Unsupported||Unsupported||Unsupported||Certified||Compatible||Compatible|
- Microsoft Windows Server 2003 is not supported. See the announcement from February 2011 for details.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 is not supported in SP9 and above. SQL Server 2005 requires a 32-bit application server, which is no longer supported. All clients must upgrade to Microsoft Server 2008 R2 64-bit and SQL Server 2008 64-bit.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008(R1) will not be supported past SP11.
Non-English Operating Systems and Databases
Non-English operating systems and databases, such as a Chinese-language version of Oracle, are considered compatible with Blackboard Learn.
Blackboard offers support for RAC with all versions of Oracle supported by Blackboard. For information about running Blackboard Learn with RAC, see Oracle RAC Support on UNIX.
Red Hat/Solaris hybrid configurations have not been tested and are not supported.
Blackboard strongly recommends running the Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) protocol to secure communication between a Blackboard Learn Web/App server and a client machine. If SSL is not used, authentication may be compromised.
Java Platform (JDK) Support
JDK 7u7 is supported for SP10. JDK 6 is not supported.
VMware® ESX Server 4 (Linux® and Windows®) is the only configuration Certified by Blackboard for Release 9.1.
Blackboard supports other virtualization solutions as long as Blackboard and the hypervisor support the guest operating system.
In addition to VMware, Blackboard has experience with Citrix XenServer 5.5, Solaris 10 Zones and Red Hat® Enterprise Linux® 4 & 5 Xen