This article is archived and is no longer updated. Go to the latest information on using voice tools.
Use the following steps to participate in a voice board posted in a content area.
The steps for using a voice board from the voice board tool on the Tools page are very similar and not covered in this topic. The main difference is that, from the Tools page, you will be able to see a list of all existing voice boards created from that tool.
- Click the link in a voice board tool.
The voice board opens. The messages are ordered from most recent at the top to oldest at the top. By default, voice board content is organized in single, collapsed message threads.
- Optionally, select any of the following options from the Options drop-down menu:
- Select Play on Click to play the voice components of messages automatically when you click the message. You will not need to click the play button in the playback applet.
- Select Continuous Play to listen to the entire content of a voice board, without needing to play each message individually. When Continuous Play is enabled, messages play from top to bottom, starting with the first message selected and ending with the last message in the voice board. Only visible, non-collapsed, messages that contain audio will play. To listen to all messages in threads, select Expand All.
- Select Expand All to expand all message threads. This enables you to view an entire voice board all at once. This feature is especially useful in conjunction with the Continuous Play feature.
- Select Collapse All to restore the voice board to its original, collapsed state.
- Select Refresh to load new messages into the voice board. Each time you access a voice board, it loads the most up-to-date content. However, if you leave the voice board open for an extended period of time, refresh the voice board periodically to review any updates made since you first opened the board.
- Do any of the following:
- Click a message to read its text. If the play button is active, and you did not select the Play on Click option, click the play button to listen to the voice message.
- Click Reply to respond to a message in the Compose window. Your message is added to a thread under the original message.
Click New to contribute a new message in the Compose window. Your message starts a new thread.
The Compose Window
- Enter a relevant title for your message in the Subject field. This field is required. It will appear as the title of your message in the voice board.
If you are replying to an existing message, the subject of that message pre-populates this field.
Use the recording applet to record your voice message. To learn how, see Recording and Playback Applets.
- Enter the text you want to accompany your voice message in the large text field at the bottom of the Compose window. Typing a message is optional, but may provide helpful information (such as instructions or an assessment question for users), or text that complements your recording.
- Click Post.