Here you'll find information on sending email (or messages) in both course types, Original and Ultra.
How do I send email?
In the Original Course View, you can access course messages from the Tools page or from a link on the course menu.
- On the course menu, select Tools.
- On the Tools page, select Send Email.
- On the Select Users or Select Groups page, select the recipients in the Available to Select box and select the right-pointing arrow to move them into the Selected box. A back arrow is available to move a user out of the recipient list. Select Invert Selection and the selected users are no longer highlighted and those users that were not selected will be highlighted.
For Windows, to select multiple users in a list, press the Shift key and select the first and last users. To select users out of sequence, press the Ctrl key and select each user needed. For Macs, use the Command key instead of the Ctrl key. You can also use the Select All function to send an email to all users.
- Type your Subject and Message. A copy of the message is sent to the sender. A receipt page appears after the message is sent listing all recipients.
- Select Attach a File to browse for files from your computer. You can attach multiple files. After you add one file, the option to attach another file appears.
- Select Submit.
Double-click the video to enlarge the viewing area.
Troubleshooting email in courses
The course email tool is a send-only tool in the Original Course View. That means you receive emails from Blackboard in your external email program, such as Gmail or Yahoo—not in Blackboard itself. You can send messages directly from your course to others users' external email accounts. Email replies go to the external email account, too.
- How do I make my email address visible? Your email address is not visible unless you choose to make it visible to course members. To change this setting, visit the My Blackboard menu > Settings > Personal Information > Set Privacy Options.
- Can I change my external email address? You can change your email address used in your courses. Go to the My Blackboard menu > Settings > Personal Information > Edit Personal Information. Then type your preferred email address and select Submit.
- Why was my email not delivered?
- Blackboard Learn will NOT recognize files or email addresses with spaces or special characters, such as #, &, %, and $. Use only letters and numbers in file names and addresses.
- Do not send email through Blackboard without a subject line. If the subject line is blank, the message might not be delivered correctly.
- Is there a record of my email? The Original Course View does not keep a record of emails in Blackboard. When you receive or send an email, the email will appear in the inbox of your external email client. Keep a copy of important messages in case you need them at a later date.
ULTRA: How do I send messages?
You and your instructors can send messages to each other, multiple people, or an entire class. Messages activity remains inside the system.
- Inside a course.
- On the Messages page. In a course, all messages and responses stay together on the Messages page. You can easily scan the entire list, and expand a message to read all the responses and see who is participating. Select the New Message icon to send a message. Send to one person, multiple people, or the entire class.
- From the course roster. You can send a message to anyone involved with your course. Select a profile picture and then the envelope icon to open the New Message panel. You can add more recipients to the message as needed.
- From the global messages page.
- Select Messages to access the global messages page.
- Select the plus sign on the Messages page to open the New Message panel.
- Start typing to add recipients. As you type, matching recipient names pop up. You can continue to add as many names as you want, or send to the whole class.
- Lead with the most important info! The first 100 characters of a message appear in the list. Messages don't have titles, so recipients rely on the first part of your message as they choose what to read. You can format your text using the content editor.
ULTRA: How do I receive messages?
1. From the global messages page
Select Messages from the base navigation (the left menu with your name at the top) to access the global messages page. You'll see all your messages from all your courses, and you can filter by course. You can view messages for current, previous, and future courses.
2. Inside a course
When you're inside a course, you can view and send messages for that course only.
- See who's involved. Each message displays the profile pictures of the participants. When more than two have participated, the creator's profile picture appears with a count of participants.
- Delete a message. Point to a message to reveal the Delete icon and delete the message. If more responses come in, you'll get them. You can't edit or delete individual responses in a message.
- Navigate to another message. Messages open in a panel displaying all the responses. Use the View Previous Messages and Next Message icons at the top to view the previous or next message in the list.
- Add more people. When you create or respond to a message, select the Add Participants icon to add additional people unless the message was sent to the entire class. The original recipients see a note in the next message that you added new people or the whole class. The new recipients see the message from the point they were added.
ULTRA: Watch a video about messages
This video explains how to access, view, and send messages to members of your course.