This information applies only to the Original Course View. Your institution controls which tools are available.
The virtual classroom includes a shared whiteboard, a group browser, a question-and-answer area, and a map that you can use to navigate to areas in your course. The session moderator establishes which tools users can access.
- On the Control Panel, go to Course Tools > Collaboration.
- Find the virtual classroom you'd like to join, and select Join in its menu.
- View: Select Show in-line to view private messages within the chat area. Select Show in separate frame to view private messages in a separate window.
- Controls: Select the check boxes to grant access to tools for passive and active users. Clear a check box to delete access to a tool.
- Clear: Clear the currently visible chat display. If you are recording the session, this has no effect on the recorded chat text.
- End: Stop a session. The session is ended and all users are dismissed.
- Breakouts: Select the check boxes for the users who will participate in the breakout session. Users may only join a breakout session if they are selected by the creator of the breakout session. Users who enter a breakout session are still active in the main virtual classroom session. If a breakout session is closed, users are still active in the main session. Breakout sessions default to the same settings as the main session.
To begin using items on the Tool tab, select the name of a tool.
The following tools are available in the classroom tool box:
In the virtual classroom, use the course map to browse the course.
The following list details the available functions in the course map:
- Display a map element to all users by selecting a content area in the map and select Display to Users in the list. Select Go.
- Display a map element in a separate window by selecting a content area in the map and then select Preview in New Window. Select Go. The new window appears only to the user who opens it.
- Refresh the map during a collaboration session by selecting Refresh Tree. Select Go. The map updates to match the course menu.
The whiteboard tools allow users to draw images, type text, and present equations. The session moderator controls if this function is made available to users.
This table details the functions available on the whiteboard.
|Select an item||Select the Arrow tool and select an item for selection. You can perform the following options on selected items: |
|Draw free hand||Select the Pen tool. In the Fill Color menu, choose the color of the pen.|
|Type text using the keyboard||Select the text tool (T) and select the whiteboard area. A Whiteboard Text Input box appears. Type text in the box and select Insert. Use the options in the tools palette to select color, font, and size.|
|Draw a straight line||Select the Line tool.|
|Draw a square||Select the Square tool. In the Fill Color menu, choose the color of the square.|
|Draw a circle||Select the Oval tool. In the Fill Color menu, choose the color of the circle.|
|Input an equation||Select the equation icon. The equation editor appears. Input the equation and select Insert Equation.|
Use the group browser to collaboratively browse the web. This tool opens a browser window that all users can view. If you are recording the session, the URLs will be documented. Your institution controls if this function is made available to users.
Users are able to ask questions during a session. As users submit questions, the session moderator can view and respond to them. Only active users can ask questions.
- In the Ask Question area, select Compose.
- In the Submit Question pop-up window, type your question in the text box.
- Select Send.
When users ask questions in the virtual classroom, the questions are sent to the Question Inbox. The Question Inbox is used to manage and respond to questions during a collaboration session.
- View unanswered questions by checking the Show unanswered only box.
- To respond to a question, select a username in the From list. Select the Respond to Question icon and type your message. Select the Private check box to send your response privately. Select Send when you're done.
- Delete a question by selecting a username in the From list and then selecting the Delete icon.