This information applies only to the Original experience. Your institution controls which tools are available.
The email tool allows you to send email to other people in your course without launching a separate email program, such as Gmail, Hotmail, or Yahoo. You can send email to individual users or to groups of users.
Watch a video about email
Check out this short video to learn more about sending email from within Blackboard Learn.
Blackboard Learn keeps no record of your email, whether you send or receive it. Any email you receive from Blackboard Learn appears in your external email inbox. Keep a copy of important messages in case you need them at a later date.
You can send email to the following users:
- All Users: All users in your course.
- All Groups: All groups in your course.
- All Student Users: All students in your course.
- All Teaching Assistant Users: All teaching assistants in your course.
- All Instructor Users: All instructors in your course.
- All Observer Users: All of the observers in your course.
- Select Users: Select the users from a list.
- Select Groups: Select groups from a list.
- Single/Select Observer users: Send email to a single observer or select observers in your course.
Recipients of each email will not see the email addresses of other recipients.
Blackboard Learn doesn't recognize email addresses and file names with spaces or special characters, such as ?, !, #, &, %, or $.
Remember to include a subject line so the email is sent successfully. If you leave the subject line blank, the message may not be delivered or could be marked as spam.
- There are three ways to find the email tool in Blackboard Learn.
- On the course menu, select Tools > Send Email.
- On the Control Panel, select Course Tools > Send Email.
- On the My Institution tab, select Tools > Send Email and select a course.
- On the Send Email page, select a link, such as All Users.
- For Select Users or Select Groups, select the recipients in the Available to Select box and select the right-pointing arrow to move them into the Selected box. Use the left-pointing arrow to move a user out of the recipient list. Select Invert Selection to select users whose names aren't highlighted, and deselect users whose names are highlighted.
To select multiple users in a list on a Windows computer, press the Shift key and select the first and last users. To select users out of sequence, press the Ctrl key and select each user needed. On a Mac, press the Command key instead of the Ctrl key. You can also use the Select All function to send an email to all users.
- Type your Subject. Your message will not be delivered without a subject.
- Type a Message.
- Select Attach a file to browse for file from your computer. You can attach multiple files to your message.
- Select Submit.
After you send an email, a message appears at the top of the Send Email page listing all recipients. The message is not a confirmation that any users received the message, just that the message was sent.
You can add an link to the course menu for you and your students to have instant access to the email tool. You can also customize the name of the link.
- Change Edit Mode to ON and select the plus sign above the course menu. The Add Menu Item list appears.
- Select Tool Link.
- Type a Name for the link.
- In the Type list, select Email.
- Select the Available to Users check box.
- Select Submit.
The new link appears last in the course menu list. Press and drag the arrows icon to move the link into a new position. Access the link's menu to rename, delete, or hide the link from students.
- Your email address is not visible unless you choose to make it visible to course members. Find this setting in the global navigation menu > Settings > Personal Information > Set Privacy Options. On this page, you can choose the information you want course members to see.
- You can change your external email address used in your course. Change your email address by accessing the global navigation menu > Settings > Personal Information > Edit Personal Information. Type your preferred email address and select Submit. Some institutions do not allow users to change their email addresses of record. To learn more, contact your institution.
- Email providers, such as Gmail, Hotmail, or Yahoo, may identify email from Blackboard as junk mail, and either automatically delete it or move it to a junk mail folder. If you have problems, check your junk mail options and settings.