This information applies only to the Original Course View.
A question set is a collection of questions drawn from selected tests and pools.
In the Original Course View, you can use question sets when you create tests. You choose how many questions you want in the set. The questions are randomly chosen each time a student takes the test. Question selection uses the same workflow as the find questions workflow, where you can use search and browse by metadata.
You can include multiple question sets in a test. For each question set, you can specify these:
- The pools and tests that the question set will draw from
- The type of questions to draw from
- The number of questions to draw from
You choose the number of questions from the question set to show. For example, you can show 3 questions out of 50. The questions are then randomly distributed so that each student sees a different set of 3 questions. You can also show students all of the questions in the question set.
If enabled, be sure to disable the pop-up blocker for Blackboard Learn so that you can access the Create Question Set pop-up window.
- Access the test. From the Reuse Question menu, select Create Question Set.
- In the pop-up window, search for questions in the Browse Criteria panel. Expand the criteria sections and select specific criteria. You can search within pools, tests, question types, categories, topics, levels of difficulty, and keywords. All questions meeting those criteria appear. You can also use the Search current results box to type a phrase, word, or part of a word to find matching questions.
- Select the check boxes for the questions you want to add. The questions appear in the Selected Questions area at the bottom of the screen. You can expand the area to view your list of questions. Select the red X next to a question to remove it. The question is removed from the collection, but not deleted from your course.
- Select Submit. The questions are added to the question set on the Test Canvas.
On the Test Canvas, locate the question set. The question set shows the total number of questions in the set, and the number of questions to display. The default is one.
You can change the number in the Number of Questions to display box.
In the Points per question box, type the points students can earn for each question in the set. For example, if you set it to 10, and the question set presents 2 out of 5 questions, the question set has a total of 20 points that students can earn for correct answers. You can't assign separate point values for individual questions in the same question set. So, you may want to only include questions of approximately the same difficulty.
Because of the randomized format of question sets, use caution when you refer to specific question content or numbering. The questions that appear will change with each attempt.
Add questions to the set:
From the question set, expand Questions in the Set. Select Add Questions.
In the pop-up window, use the criteria to find and select the questions to add to the questions that are already in the set. Select Submit.
Remove questions from the set:
Select the questions and select Remove Question. The question is removed from the set, but not deleted from your course.