This information applies only to the Original Course View. Your instructor and institution control which tools are available.
The chat tool allows you to interact with other users using a text-based chat. Chat is part of the virtual classroom, but you can also access it separately. Some of the functions in chat are limited to those users with active roles.
- On the course menu, select Tools.
- On the Tools page, select Collaboration.
- On the Collaboration Sessions page, select a chat title in the Session Name column.
- In the Compose box, type a message.
- Select Send.
If your role is active, you and your instructor can send private messages to one or more participants. Your instructor enables this function. Private messages are not recorded.
- In the Participants list, select the recipient or recipients of your private message.
- Select Private Message.
- In the Compose Private Message pop-up window, type your message.
- Select Send.
Private messages appear with all your other messages in the chat display panel. You can choose to display them in a separate panel. Select View and select where private messages appear.
Private Message from always precedes private messages.
The User Information pop-up window displays a user's personal information such as name, email address, and any other information a user chooses to include.
- In the Participants column, select a name.
- Select User Info and the User Information pop-up window appears.
This table details the functions available in the chat.
|Type a message for the class to read||Type a message in the Compose box. Select Send. The message appears in the chat area. You may include up to 1,000 characters in your message.|
|Become an active user||Select the hand icon. A hand appears next to your name. The moderator selects the hand to make your role active.|
|View user information||Select a participant and select User Info.|
|Send a private message||Select a participant and select Private Message.|