How do teachers and students use course pages?
While this is just a preview of what both teachers and students can do on a course page, you can check it out from both perspectives!
A teacher can edit the course settings and appearance, add activities and resources, and grade students from their course pages.
Edit course settings
Steps in Snap: Admin > Edit settings
Steps in other themes: Turn editing on > Administration > Course administration > Edit settings
When you first enter your course, go to the course settings to decide the look-and-feel of the course.
- Add a description that informs users what they will be learning in your course.
- Expand Course Format to decide how you want organize the course.
- Expand Appearance to decide how you want the course to look and feel.
We recommend using the Moodlerooms Snap theme. Snap lets you create modern and responsive websites for online learning. It removes the clutter and provides a modern professional feel. This lets users focus on information as and when they need it, without overwhelming them.
- Expand Groups if you want to allow group work in your course.
More on Course Settings on the Moodle website (may be available in English only)
Add resource and activities
Steps in Snap: Create learning activity or resource > Choose an activity or resource > Add
Steps in other themes: Turn editing on > Add an activity or resource > Choose an activity or resource > Add
Courses are a collection of activities and resources.
- Activities are tasks you want students to do. For example, complete an assignment or participate in a discussion.
- Resources are items you use to support learning. For example, a video of a lecture or an article to read.
You must decide what activities you want to have students complete for a grade. Activities that you make gradable appear in the Gradebook for grading.
You can grade directly from the activity. Select the activity and View responses.
You can also grade from the following areas in your course.
- Grader Report: The Grader report collects all graded items into a table. From here you can grade and give feedback.
- Joule Gradebook: Joule Gradebook displays categories and course totals for each student.
- Joule Grader: With Joule Grader you can grade and navigate through submitted assignments using a two-pane view. Assignments and Advanced Forums are currently supported.
Common student activities in a course include submitting assignments, replying to discussions, using the HTML editor, and viewing badges or certificates.
When submitting assignments, you can type responses directly into a Moodlerooms, or attach documents, spreadsheets, images, audio and video.
- From your course, select the name of the assignment title. How it looks in SnapHow it looks in another theme
- Read the assignment instructions and review the submission status.
- Select Add submission.
- Type Online text if required.
You can also include images in the text.
- Add File submissions if required.
You can attach a document or drop it in the File submissions box.
- Select Save changes.
You can view an assignment after you have submitted it to view grades or add comments.
Check out more about assignments.
Reply to a discussion forum
Discuss coursework and other related educational topics with forums.
- From your course, select the name of the discussion forum. How it looks in SnapHow it looks in another theme
- Within the forum, select a discussion topic to view its threads.
- Select Reply beneath the post you want to reply to.
- Type a subject for your post.
- Type your post.
- Optionally, select Use advanced editor to format your post.
- Optionally, Choose files to add to the post.
- Select Submit.
Your reply appears indented under the original post.
Check out more about forums and discussions.
Insert images with the HTML editor
Format text and insert images and other media with the HTML editor.
- When replying to a discussion or typing text online, select Use advanced editor for the HTML editor.
Select the Show more buttons icon at the top of the message box to expand and use more functions.
- Add your text and then place your cursor where you want the image to appear.
- Select the Insert/Edit image icon.
- Browse to find an image by selecting Find or upload an image. Select the image, and click Select this file.
You can also paste a URL in the Image URL box.
- Type an image description.
- Select the Appearance tab to set the image dimensions and alignment.
- Select Insert.
Teachers award badges based on a set of criteria determined at the site or course level. Depending on the course page design, you can view badges through the course tools, or through navigation block.
- Log into the site.
- Access the badges:
Steps in Snap: Select your course, then select Course Tools > Course badges.
Steps in other themes: In the Navigation block, under the Site pages menu, select Site badges.How it looks in SnapHow it looks in another theme
You will see any badges awarded to you.
Your teachers can award certificates when you finish different sections or assignments of the course. You can print out certificates from a course where your teacher has awarded a certificate. Your teacher may send a message when you receive a certificate.
- Log in and navigate to the course where you received the certificate.
- Locate the certificate and click Get your certificate.
Students can view and print a certificate, download the certificate, or receive an email message with the certificate attached. The options available depend on settings a teacher selects when building the certificate.