There are three approaches to submitting your information to Conduit:
- *Upload a CSV file:* This can be produced by your SIS or created from scratch manually. This is managed by an SFTP upload process and a timed schedule for when Conduit updates Moodle from your SFTP location.
- *Upload an XML file:* This can be produced by your SIS or created from scratch manually. If you do not elect to use the RESTful Web services but your SIS produces XML files, this approach is for you. This is managed by an SFTP upload process and a timed schedule for when Conduit updates Moodle from your SFTP location.
- RESTful Web Services: Instantly update Moodle with information and changes made in your SIS - no uploading required. Requires that your SIS has Web services producer capabilities.
Conduit has two cron processes that run on the system to maintain continuity between Conduit and Moodle and to process file requests:
- Conduit Cron: This cron runs every 15 minutes and looks for new CSV or XML files to process
- Moodle Administrative Cron: This is part of the Moodle administrative cron that runs approximately once every 30 minutes. This cron looks for differences between Conduit and Moodle, and if it finds any, it updates one or the other depending on your settings.
Set the File Names and Locations
Steps: Conduit > Settings > File
Once the CSV or XML files have been prepared, you can upload them to the server directory using your favorite FTP/SFTP program. The following are a few recommended SFTP programs:
- Select the File link under the Settings tab.
- Type the absolute file path to the SFTP directory that Conduit cron looks at for the CSV or XML files to process. This information is provided to you by a Moodlerooms representative and looks like this: /clients/yoursitename/conduit.
- If your files use a different naming structure than the Conduit default (auth.csv, course.csv, enroll.csv, role_assign.csv, groups.csv and group_members.csv), type in the file names you use.
- Select Save changes.
Set the Web service information
Steps: Conduit > Settings > Web services
Select the Web services link under the Settings tab.
Each Conduit RESTful Web service is called from an HTTPS URL. An example URL is:
The site is replaced with the client’s Moodlerooms site URL – usually something like clientname.mrooms.net.
The service_name is replaced with either user, course, enroll, groups, or group_members.
Each of the Conduit RESTful Web services require two HTML post variables to be passed using an HTTPS call. These variables are:
- string token: (Required) Set to the Token setting value used in Conduit Settings tab > Web services sub-tab.
- string method: (Required) Must be set to the name of the method being called.
Import the data files
Steps: Conduit > Settings > Import
With the Import form, you can upload a XML file that contains new settings for Conduit.
- Select Import under the Settings tab.
- You are prompted to download a XML file than you can import into this area.