There are many ways you can access forums, discussions, and posts.
Go to your course and find the Advanced forum activity.
If you are using the Snap theme, you have two additional options for viewing and staying up-to-date with recent posts.
- Course footer: Recent forum posts appear under Recent Activity in the course footer. Go to the bottom of the course to see it.
- Personal menu: You can also see recent posts in your personal menu. Select Menu at the top of your Moodlerooms screen to open your personal menu.
Steps: Advanced forum > Add a new discussion
After you create the advanced forum you can add discussion topics to it.
- From the advanced forum, select Add a new discussion.
- Type a meaningful Subject and Message. Select Use advanced editor if you want to format your description.
- Optionally, attach files.
- Optionally, select Manage forum subscriptions to subscribe to the forum. Select what you want in the email in the Email digest type menu.
- Select Submit.
Steps: Advanced forum > Discussion topic > Reply
You can reply to discussion topics and other replies.
- Go to a discussion and view the recent replies.
- Select Reply beneath the post you want to reply to.
- Type a subject for your post.
- Type your post.
Know what you want to post. You can't edit it after it has been submitted.
- Optionally, select Use advanced editor to format your post.
- Optionally, add files.
- Optionally, select Private reply to send your reply to the original author only.
This must be turned on in the forum post options.
- Select Submit.
Your reply appears indented under the original post.
Some Advanced forums have anonymous posting turned on.
When you reply your post appears as by Anonymous User and your picture is removed. Only you see your name and picture in the reply.
You don't have to be anonymous if you don't want to be. When typing your reply select Reveal yourself in this post.
Steps: Advanced forum > Discussion topic or reply > Bookmark or Substantive
Bookmark posts to remind you to return to them later. Select the bookmark at the bottom of the post to mark it. Other teachers in the course see your bookmarks. Students do not.
Flag posts that are substantive, important, meaningful, or merits attention. Select the star at the bottom of the post to flag it. Other teachers in the course see your flags. Students do not.
Steps: Advanced forum > Discussion topic > Subscribe
You can subscribe to discussion topics and receive emails when there are new posts. Go to a discussion and select Subscribe.
Steps in Snap: Menu > Your name > Preferences > Forum preferences
Steps in other themes: Your name > Profile > Preferences > Forum preferences
Advanced Forums allow you to configure settings in your user profile to manage forum subscriptions and tracking.
Locate the following settings and edit them.
- Forum auto-subscribe: Select Yes: when I post, subscribe me to that forum to automatically subscribe to a forum when you post in any forum.
- Forum tracking: Select Yes: highlight new posts for me to highlight unread forum posts in color when you enter a forum.