Award certificates for accomplishing goals.
Being rewarded is a powerful extrinsic motivator. One of the best rewards is recognition for a job well done. Providing these opportunities for rewarding students throughout your course can keep students motivated and create a map of what they can learn.
Giving recognition for student achievements is also becoming the new standard for verifying learning. You can use certificates to round out a grade. You can provide details and examples of exactly what students achieved in your course.
- Provide a certification, including credit units and credentials attained.
- Award students whose work stands out.
- Require satisfactory completion of the course before progressing forward in a training series.
- Add incentives for professional development courses.
Steps in Snap: Create learning activity or resource > Certificate > Add
Steps in other themes: Turn editing on > Add an activity or resource > Certificate > Add
You can customize the awards with borders, watermarks, seals, and grade information. You can establish conditions for receiving certificates, such as attainment of a certain grade.
- Type a name. This is the only required field.
- Optionally, type an introduction to describe the certificate and requirements.
- Optionally, make selections in the following areas to customize the certificate.
- Issue Options - set the delivery method to students and if teachers or others receive emails when certificates are issued.
Text Options - specify information printed on the certificate.
Design Options - determine the look of the certificate.
- Common Module Settings
- Restrict Access
- Activity completion
Click Save and return to course to show the course front page or Save and display to show only the new certificate.
Restrict access to the certificate until students fulfill specified requirements in the course.
More on using certificates on the Moodle website (may be available in English only)
Understand the student experience
Students access the certificate in a topic.
Students click Get your certificate and one of the following occurs based on options selected by the teacher:
- Open in new window: a new browser window opens displaying the certificate and it can be saved or printed.
- Force Download: a new browser window opens and downloads the file automatically.
- Email Certificate: sends the certificate as an email attachment.
After students receive a certificate, they can view it again later.