Make your choice.
A Choice activity is very simple – ask a question and specify a choice of multiple responses. Use choices for a quick poll about a topic; to allow the class to vote on a direction for the course; or to gather research consent.
Steps in Snap: Create learning activity or resource > Choice > Add
Steps in other themes: Turn editing on > Add an activity or resource > Choice > Add
- Type a meaningful name and description. The description displays to students when they view the choice. Check the Display description on course page box if you want the description to show there.
- Set the choice Options:
- Select whether to display the choices vertically or horizontally.
- Determine whether students can update their choice after making it.
- Determine whether or users can select multiple choices.
- Determine whether or not to limit the number of users that can select a particular choice. When the limit is reached then no-one else can select that option. If limits are disabled then any number of participants can select any of the options.
- Type the options available as choices in each Option box. Select to add more options as needed.
- Set the following optional items:
- Click Save and return to course to show the course main page or Save and display to show the new choice.
Set the availability of choices
Steps in Snap: Choice > Edit > Availability
Steps in other themes: Turn editing on > Choice> Edit > Edit Settings > Availability
You can determine when choices will be available to participants.
- Restrict answering to this time period: If selected, set the date and time when the choice will be opened to participants and when it will no longer be available.
- Show in preview: If selected, the choice will be available to view before and after the time restriction for answering.
Display choice results
Steps in Snap: Choice > Edit > Results
Steps in other themes: Turn editing on > Choice> Edit > Edit Settings > Results
You can determine whether or not to display the results to participants. You can also determine when the results will be available.
- Publish results: Options include Do not publish results to students, Show results to students after they answer, Show results to students only after choice is closed, and Always show results to students.
- Privacy of results: Options include Publish anonymous results, do not show student names; and Publish full results, showing names and their choices.
- Show column for unanswered: Determine whether or not the results should include a column for students that didn't answer the choice.
- Include responses from inactive/suspended users: Determine whether or not to include response from users that have been suspended or are not longer active.
Determine choice completion
Steps in Snap: Choice > Edit > Activity completion
Steps in other themes: Turn editing on > Choice> Edit > Edit Settings > Activity completion
You can determine to mark the choice activity as completed.
- Completion tracking: Options include Do not indicate activity completion, Students can manually mark the activity as completed, and Show activity as complete when conditions are met.
- Student must view this activity to complete it: When the Completion tracking is set to Show activity as complete when conditions are met, this option will be available. Determine if the activity will be marked as complete after the student views the choice.
- Show as complete when user makes a choice: When the Completion tracking is set to Show activity as complete when conditions are met, this option will be available. Determine if the activity will be marked as complete after the student makes a choice.
- Expect completed on: Enable this feature and set a date for when it is expected participants will be marked as completed.