To set up the connection between the DataLink Client Tool and Blackboard Learn (SaaS deployment or Blackboard Learn 9.1 Oct 2014 release or higher), complete the following steps:
- The SIS Central building block will automatically be installed for Learn SaaS.
For Learn 9.1 October 2014 release and later, this building block can be obtained via Software Updates, or by downloading the latest building block from the SIS Central Building Block download page.
- Enable the SIS Central building block.
- Select DataLink as the data source system and access Blackboard SIS Central.
- Once you log into SIS Central, download and install the DataLink Client Tool.
Review the DataLink Integration Guide for full installation details.
- Verify the connection settings.
Enable the SIS Central Building Block
- As a system administrator, access the Building Blocks page in your Blackboard Learn.
- Select Installed Tools.
- For the SIS Central tool, set availability to Available.
- Edit the Settings and select DataLink as the data source system.
- Access the Data Integration page from the Building Blocks.
- Click the Blackboard SIS Central Service link to launch SIS Central.
Verify Installation of the DataLink Client Tool
When you open SIS Central from Learn, the Welcome screen displays, providing the opportunity for you to download and install the DataLink Client Tool.
The DataLink Client Tool is a program that is designed to assist districts with data extraction and data transfer, automatically syncing the data from the SIS or another database into Blackboard’s products.
The installation link includes the executable file and step-by-step installation guide for you to follow.
At this point, please open a ticket with our Data Integration specialist team by contacting the Learn Tier 1 support team to ensure you do not need changes to the standard queries .
Verify Connection Settings
- In Blackboard SIS Central, click I’m Ready to Continue.
- Click Test Connection to initiate a request to verify that SIS Central can authenticate with the DataLink Client Tool and that the Enable SIS Central flag is activated on the DataLink Client Tool.
If the connection works, you'll see the message Connection verified as successful.
If the connection fails, ensure the Client ID is correct, that the DataLink Client Tool has been set up correctly, and that SIS Central has been enabled in the DataLink Client Tool. At this point, please open a ticket with our Data Integration specialist team by contacting the Learn Tier 1 support team to ensure you do not need changes to the standard queries .
- Click Save.
Once you have installed the plugin and verified the connection between DataLink and Blackboard Learn, you can schedule the data extractions.